Sunday, March 28, 2010

First Attempt: Wholegrain Shortbread

Yesterday was shortbread day!


Since I'm going to be making (and eating) a lot of shortbread, I thought I'd use some whole grain ingredients to add fiber.

The result was a very chewy, buttery concoction; I'm not sure I'd even call it shortbread.  It was toffee-like,  and would be delicious dipped in semisweet chocolate.  But it was not memorable shortbread, not by a long shot.

3.27.2010_Whole Grain Shortbread (Grade-D)
Pan: 9 inch spring-form
Oven temperature: 325 degrees F
Baking time: 24 minutes
Ingredients (mixed in food processor):
   1/2 c. butter
   1/4 c. brown sugar
   1/4 c. powdered sugar
   1/2 c. all-purpose flour
   1/4 c. brown rice flour
   1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour

What I learned:  It's not smart to step way out of the box when you're aiming for perfection of something classic, like shortbread.  Start with a tried and true recipe and tweak it with ingredients you have available.  Adjust to suit your personal taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment