Saturday, October 23, 2010

Betty's Peanut Butter Shortbread

It's been awhile since Shortbread Day, and I've gotten several reminders that I've been neglecting this blog.
How the weeks fly by!  I've been learning to bead,



experimenting with new felting techniques,



and stitching like crazy for upcoming Winterfest.



And there's been some time in the kitchen.  All year I've been wanting to try Bakerella's Cake Balls, but knew I'd have to find an occasion when most of them would leave the house.  Our parish bazaar in mid-September provided the perfect opportunity.
I was feeling quite proud of my time-saving techniques, like baking the cakes in the microwave. 8 minutes and you're done!



I used my county fair winnings to buy a cookie scoop.  This is what I used to quickly form the balls.


But by the time I dipped the 14 dozen balls in chocolate, I was too tired to even take a picture of the finished product.  Making cake balls, however yummy, was definitely out of my system!  It's back to shortbread.

Peanut Butter Shortbread seems so unauthentic, I hesitate to mention it.  But this was one of my absolute favorite concoctions.  I'd intended to top the finished shortbread with melted chocolate, but it was so good, just plain, that I skipped the chocolate.  Can you imagine?


 


Here's the recipe:
Betty's Peanut Butter Shortbread
Pan:  8-inch cast iron skillet
Oven temperature:  300 degrees F

Blend in food processor:
         3 TB   peanut butter (I used chunky)
         1/2 c. unsalted butter

Process in:
         3/4 c. Ultragrain (white whole wheat) flour
         1/3 c. white rice flour
         1/3 c. powdered sugar
         1/4 tsp. salt


Process until well-blended.  Pour ingredients onto a sheet of wax paper and knead into a flat disc.  Press into an 8-inch cast iron skillet.  Prick top with toothpick and press fork around edges.

Bake on middle oven rack for 40-42 minutes.  Immediately after removing shortbread from oven, cut into 12 wedges.  Let cool in pan.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment