Sunday, March 6, 2011

Irish Cream Shortbread: First Try

With St. Patrick's Day approaching, I thought it would be fun to make an Irish shortbread.

There are lot of recipes for homemade Irish Cream liquor on the Net- these were my inspiration. Found a bottle of Irish whiskey in the cupboard, and off I went!



Here' the recipe I followed:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Process dry ingredients in the food processor:

1/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup Ultragrain flour
1/4 cup white rice flour
1 TBSP dry milk powder
1 TBSP cocoa

Add the following, and process until the dough begins to form a ball:
1/2 cup butter (salted, or add 1/4 tsp. salt)
1 T Irish whiskey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract

Put dough into an 8-inch cast iron skillet. Flatten, and prick the top several times with a fork or toothpick. Bake for 43 minutes. Remove from oven, set skillet, and cut shortbread into 12 wedges. Let cool in skillet.

Once cooled, remove shortbread wedges from pan. Brush the wedges with glaze of butter, powdered sugar glaze and just a touch of Irish whiskey.



This shortbread definitely tastes like Irish cream, but is a bit dry. I'm going to try it again with less powdered milk and a bit of instant coffee. I think I'll use a milder cocoa than the Dutch process, as well. Until then, this recipe is not bad, but not a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment